Recommended poker books
Learning poker is hard, but fun and rewarding. If you enjoy reading, poker books can be a great complement to poker training exercises, videos and other ways of learning. For in-dept theoretical coverage I argue that it is the best source. Here are three poker books I recommend, one for beginners and two for advanced players.
- Master Micro Stakes Poker: Learn to Master 6-Max No Limit Hold’em Micro Stakes Cash Gamesby Alton Hardin is a book for beginners.
- Play Optimal Poker: Practical Game Theory for Every Poker Player by Andrew Brokos is a book for advanced players.
- Play Optimal Poker 2: Range Construction by Andrew Brokos is a book for advanced players.
Alton Hardin has written Master Micro Stakes Poker: Learn to Master 6-Max No Limit Hold’em Micro Stakes Cash Games for beginners and struggling poker players. Alton aims to:
- Teach players how to master 6-Max No Limit Hold’em micro stakes cash games.
- Teach players skills to become tight-aggressive micro stakes poker players.
- Teach players how to become solid poker players at low live stakes.
For the players to build a solid long-term poker success, Alton will teach players how to:
- Become thinking poker players.
- Focus on a tight, aggressive approach.
- Use strategies that works.
Andrew Brokos, a professional poker player, has written Play Optimal Poker: Practical Game Theory for Every Poker Player, and shatters the myth that game theory is only for elite poker players. He will explain:
- The fundamentals step-by-step.
- The core game theory principles.
- How to apply this in real poker situations.
Andrew provides players with powerful tools to:
- Navigate tricky situations.
- Handle tough competition.
- Exploit common mistakes.
Players will learn to:
- Use game theory concepts.
- Apply game theory principles.
- Build and manipulate ranges.
Play Optimal Poker 2: Range Construction is a follow-up to Andrew Brokos previous book, Play Optimal Poker, above. It contains theory that you can understand and strategies to use. In this book you will get fresh insights whether you play:
- Cash games.
- High stakes or low.
- Online or live.
You will learn powerful concepts such as:
- Bet sizing.
- Equity denial and realization.
- Balance and leverage.
- Board coverage.
- Exploitative play.